List of 11 Best Text Editors For Windows, Mac, Linux & More. BBEdit (Previously known as Text Wrangler) Price: Free Platform: Mac. Among all the text editors for Mac, BBEdit is definitely one of the oldest. BBEdit brings with it a very intuitive, user-friendly interface that makes it super smooth to browse files and work on projects. Sep 27, 2021 For the main text editor, UltraEdit is well-known for being speedy and customizable, with nice-looking themes to make things easier for you. Features: Text editor, code editor (both general and specific), sync/share and other cloud services, search on FTP servers. Pricing: $99.95/yr with all access. Website: UltraEdit.
Whether you want to create a site from scratch, edit a CSS file or make some quick edits to your website template, a good, solid text editor is just what you need.
But, it’s kind of tough to choose the best text editor, isn’t it?
We mean, there are just so many options to choose from.
How would you know which one is the right choice for you?
Perhaps someone recommended you a text editor, but you found it hard to use?
Or maybe you downloaded a text editor that had great reviews, but it didn’t work out well for your needs?
No matter what brought you here, one thing is for sure.
You want to know more about text editors that can increase your efficiency, productivity, and performance.
In this blog, we’ll tell you all about the best text editors by taking into consideration what is most popular, easy to use, and affordable!
But first, let’s start with learning what text editors are (For those who’ve just begun their coding journey!)
What Exactly are Text Editors? (Definition)
Text editors, sometimes called code editors, are applications that allow you to create and edit a range of programming language files.
In short, text editors are the place where you write your code!
There are a few things that all great text editors have in common:
- Easy to code without formatting issues corrupting it.
- Easy to use and navigate.
- Customizable appearance, such as modifying font size, color schemes, and more.
- Plugin mechanisms.
- Ability to handle UTF-8 encoded text.
- Syntax highlighting, which makes it easier to read codes and pick up any errors.
The point being, it doesn’t matter whether you’re coding with a Windows, Mac, or Linux PC; a good text editor should be easy to use and do the job the way it was intended to be done!
Now, let’s get to what you came for – the most solid text editors out there.
List of 11 Best Text Editors For Windows, Mac, Linux & More
1. BBEdit (Previously known as Text Wrangler)
Price: Free Platform: Mac
Among all the text editors for Mac, BBEdit is definitely one of the oldest.
BBEdit brings with it a very intuitive, user-friendly interface that makes it super smooth to browse files and work on projects.
This text editor has been exclusively designed and crafted for the purpose of editing, searching, transforming, and manipulating text.
- Auto indentations.
- Syntax highlighting for many programming languages.
- Advanced search and replace tools.
- Supports comparison of text files.
- Integrates smoothly into existing workflows.
Price: Free Platform: Windows, Mac OS, Linux
The best way to move ahead in web development is by unifying and creating links between design and implementation.
Brackets, a text editor developed by Adobe, helps you do exactly that.
The best feature that separates this lightweight and modern text editor from others is “Extract”.
Using this feature, you can pick colors, measurements, fonts, gradients, etc. from a photoshop file and convert it into a ready-for-web CSS.
- A clean and minimal user interface.
- Automatically highlights code syntax.
- Easily customizable.
- Inline editors for faster access to a specific part of code.
- Real-time visualization.
3. Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
Price: Free Platform: Windows, Mac OS, Linux
Visual Studio Code belongs to the family of the tech giant Microsoft. It is known to be one of the most fully-featured and well-rounded text editors out there.
This extensible, open-source text editor supports a wide selection of programming languages and frameworks, from the familiar C and C++ to modern languages like Go and Rust.
One of the most time-saving features of VS Code is its infusion with AI. All of the code and text that the developer writes in this text editor is automatically read by the software.
As a result, it creates auto-responses for code writing based on essential modules and variable types!
- Built-in debugger.
- Makes it simple to work with Git and many other SCM providers.
- Comes with built-in support for web applications.
- Split views and zen mode.
- Detects incomplete snippets of codes.
Read more: Top 11 Code Editors for Software Developers
Price: Free Platform: Windows, Linux, and UNIX.
Developers all over the globe have been using Notepad++ for quite a while because it’s far simpler to use, and doesn’t come with too many bells and whistles.
Jam-packed with many features, Notepad++ has an amazing execution speed, making it apt for modern machines.
This text editor supports more than 50 programming, scripting, and markup languages, including syntax highlighting and code folding.
You can even define your own language, a first among these text editors!
- Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion.
- Multi-language environment support.
- A lightweight application that launches quickly.
- Tabbed editing and collaborative editing.
5. Komodo Edit
Price: Free Platform: Windows & Mac
Komodo Edit is a powerful yet simple-to-use text editor.
If you don’t need a high-end text editor and just want to get smaller projects done, Komodo is a perfect choice.
But, if you need a little more advanced tools like unit testing and code profiling, there’s something called ‘Komodo IDE’ that does the trick.
This upgrade supports all the languages and frameworks, making it ideal for web development.
The best part? Even the upgrade doesn’t cost you anything because it’s also an open-source project!
- Two separate versions – one for light users and another for advanced power users.
- Real-time code collaboration. (Komodo IDE)
- Multi-language editor with skin and icon sets.
- Track changes and make multiple selections.
- Plenty of integrations like Gulp, Grunt, Yarn, and Vagrant. (Komodo IDE)
Price: Free Platform: Windows, Mac OS, Linux
For old-school programmers and keyboard enthusiasts, Vim is a go-to text editor.
Vim has a rich history – it originated from the Vi editor (1976), and it’s still being upgraded today.
This text editor is used entirely via the keyboard, making everything much faster and more efficient – but only if you put some effort into learning how to operate it.
Vim can take your coding productivity to heights if you have the time and patience to learn it.
- Work on multiple files at the same time.
- Supports many programming languages and file formats.
- Powerful search and replace.
- Great and extensive plug-in support.
- Exceptionally low memory footprint.
Read more:13 Programming Blogs and Websites to Improve Your Coding Skills
Price: $99 Platform: Mac
Espresso comes with a beautiful interface and is a really powerful text editor.
This text editor is beginner-friendly but provides lots of wonderful features for advanced users as well.
The latest version of Espresso has a ‘Clodette’ menu. It helps you edit and sync servers automatically, as well as publish your content quickly.
That means you don’t need to spend so many hours trying to configure an unstable server!
- Extensive plug-in API for formatting, syntaxes, and more.
- XRay preview to quickly make changes.
- Drag and drop code snippets.
- Live preview of your design while you code.
- Effortlessly navigates your code structure.
8. Sublime Text
Price: $80 (Free Indefinite Preview) Platform: Mac OS, Windows, Linux
Sublime Text comes with all the features you would expect from a powerful text editor, and a lot more.
Just like Vim, it is lightweight and ready to edit your file as soon as you give the command. This awesome responsiveness is one of the things that makes it the best text editor of its kind.
But remember, if you want to get the most out of Sublime Text, you need to install some extra plugins.
- Edit multiple files simultaneously.
- Extremely extendable.
- Supports split editing.
- Powerful API and package ecosystem.
- Auto indentation.
Price: Free Platform: Windows, Mac OS, Linux
Atom has been created by developers for developers.
It is a ‘hackable’ text editor, and what it means is that it allows new programmers the opportunity to create their own text editor without years of programming expertise. How cool is that?
Just like WordPress, Atom users can submit packages and themes for the software, increasing collaboration among developers.
Earlier, Atom had many performance and stability problems, but those have diminished significantly as new versions came out.
- Smart options for auto-completion.
- Cross-platform editing.
- Integrated with Git & Github.
- Built-in package manager.
- Thousands of plugins available.
Price: Free Platform: Windows, Mac, Solaris, FreeBSD, Linux.
Bluefish is a powerful text editor that is mainly for experienced web designers and programmers.
Even though BlueFish is an ultra-fast text editor that supports many programming and markup languages, its main focus is on editing dynamic and interactive websites.
This text editor is so efficient that it loads a complete website within a second!
If you are a fan of text editors that don’t take their sweet time to run your commands, then Bluefish is a text editor that was designed with you in mind.
- Multithreaded support for remote files.
- Supports nearly every programming language.
- User-customizable toolbar for quick access to most used features.
- Multiple document interface (Easily open 500+ documents).
- Auto-recovery of changes after a crash or shutdown.
Price: Free Platform: Mac
TextMate is a high-end source text editor developed only for Mac OS.
This super cool and versatile text editor comes with a unique and innovative feature set.
TextMate includes ready-made libraries of text snippets that you can reuse for almost every programming language.
Without a doubt, if you are looking for an amazing free text editor for Mac, you should consider TextMate.
- Easy clipboard management
- Auto-indent for common actions.
- Visual bookmarks to jump between places in files.
- Features Marcos that eliminate repetitive work.
- Foldable code blocks.
When you start coding, you shortly realize that text editors are your best friends.
But, finding the right text editor is a tough call to make when you’re starting out.
If you pick a simple text editor, it might help you learn the basics, but you’ll face difficulties as you start working around complex codes.
Similarly, if you start out with a highly complex text editor, it’ll definitely hinder your learning process, and you might even start losing interest in coding.
In the end, it all comes down to balance.
So, keep this in mind: The best text editor for you is ultimately what makes YOU most productive. Experiment and explore to find out which works the best for you!
Also, if we missed out on any of your favorite text editors, let us know by tweeting us @bit.ai. We’d be happy to include it on our list!
It is always exciting for developers from all over the world whenever they get to showcase their best code editor at computer expos and tech conferences. On that note when we talk about free code editors for Windows and Mac to use in the year 2021, we cannot help but wait in anticipation for brand-new features to use right away.
In this write-up, we will talk about the best coding software for multiple platforms. However, we will lay extra emphasis on Windows OS and Mac OS because they are popular operating systems out there right now.
Most of these best code editors are free; you do not have to buy any expensive licenses or whatever to start working on them. Just download a trial version of the said software and see if it fulfills your requirements. Afterward, you can convert to paid software for yourself or the company you are working for.
In addition, we will also fill you in on the most amazing code editors that you and your development team can use feature-wise. Since not all code editors are alike, some of them cannot be used for wide-scale projects.
Likewise, a basic version code editor can be used as a standalone application. If the app itself allows, it can be integrated into an Integrated Development Environment (IDE). Let’s take look at our best code editor list and see what we have handpicked so far.
9 Free Best Code Editors for Windows & Mac to Use in 2021
Best Code Editors of 2021:
One of the most well-known code editors that developers all over the world have been using for quite a while is Notepad++. This amazing application was developed in C++. The initial launch version was very simple. It didn’t have a lot of functions back then, but Notepad++ garnered tons of positive reviews.
Not only developers but casual users also prefer using this tool over Windows’ native notepad application.
Using the pure win32 API, the Notepad++ has an amazing execution speed, which is great for the modern gen machines. Thanks to improved execution times, code compilation spans over a matter of few seconds. This helps programmers to get things done right away.
This application is only compatible with the Windows platform at the moment. It uses a GPL license to work. If you are a Mac fan, don’t worry. We have a couple of code editors appended down the list. Just keep glossing over it.
- Auto-completion: Word completion, Function completion
- User-defined Syntax highlighting and folding
- Multi-view and Multi-Language support
- Macro recording and playback
- Entirely customizable GUI
- Guided indentation
- Split-screen editing and synchronized scrolling
Check out the best task management tools for Mac:
One of the most famous and useful code editors on this list is Atom. Used by millions of developers all over the world, it is an amazing application with a very simple UI that increases its usability.
One of the cool features of this best free code editor is that the developers can submit packages straight from the application. Atom is available for download at multiple platforms: Windows, Linux, and Mac devices. If you are a Mac OSX user, this is the perfect time for you to give this app a shot.
- Package Manager Integrated for Plugins support
- Supports Command Palette
- The feature of smart autocompletion
- Cross-platform editing
- Built-in package manager
- File system browser
- Find and replace tool
- Smart autocompletion
- Multiple panes
- Packages and themes
3. Visual Studio Code [VS Code]
One of the most effective and time-saving features of this application is its infusion with A.I.
That means that all of the code that the developer writes in the application is read by the software. As a result, it generates auto-responses for code writing. These responses are based on variable types, function definitions, and essential modules.
This application is available for download on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX.
- Code refactoring & debugging
- Easy working with Git and other SCM (Software Configuration Management) providers
- Easily extensible and customizable
- Visual Studio Code CLI
- Live Share
- Helpers (Intellisense, Context Menus)
- Plugins and Themes
- Split Views, Zen Mode
- Integrated Terminal
Although this list recommends some of the best code editors in the market, there is still no comparison to Brackets code editor. Yes, it is free, but what makes it really useful is the full barrage of extensive new features.
This application has a lightweight framework designed by the people over at Adobe. Believe me, those people know what they are doing. It is one of the best code editors that is completely open-source and you can modify it to your liking.
One of the most amazing features of this application is that you can choose between a browser view to look at how your code is doing or you can view the source code in its original form and modify it from there.
This application is available to be used on Windows, Linux, and Mac devices.
- Offers live preview, pre-processor support, and inline editors
- Especially developed tool for macOS
- Quick Edit UI feature puts context-specific code and tools inline
- Pleasant looking UI
- It comes with the inbuilt extension manager for fast & effective extension management
- Quick Docs
- Live Preview
- LESS support
Another code editor on this list that as one of the most famous code-editors is NetBeans. It is open-source software that the developers can use to develop applications using programming languages like PHP, Java, and C++, among many others.
This software also contains features like code analyzers that can debug your code for you and also convertors to change anything that needs modification.
If your applications were developed in the recent past, be advised that NetBeans allows you to upgrade all your applications to benefit from the new and improved Java 8 language constructs.
This application is ready to be used on Windows, Linux, and Mac devices.
- Offers fast & Smart Code Editing
- Helps you to write bug-free code
- Easy & Efficient Project Management
- Rapid User Interface Development
- Cross-platform support
- Visual debugger
- Static analysis tools
- Code editor
- Code converters
- Multiple language support
- NetBeans Profiler
- Project management
- Batch code analyzers
If you are a fan of working on dozens of different software at once and not wasting time for the code editor to take its sweet time to run your code, then Bluefish is the code editor that was designed with you in mind.
It is an excellent cross-platform editor that can handle many files of code at once and run them simultaneously. One other feature that the developers love about this application is that they can edit their code from their remote working station, which can be anywhere in the world.
This application contains many different options for web developers and programmers that can help them write code, websites, and scripts for quality testing of their software.
This application is available to be used by Windows, Linux, and Mac device owners.
- Auto-recovery of changes in modified documents after a crash, kill or shutdown
- Unlimited undo/redo functionality
- Loads hundreds of files within seconds
- Project support feature helps you to work efficiently on multiple projects
- Dialogues for many HTML tags, with all their attributes
- User-customizable toolbar for quick access to often-used functions
- Fully featured image insert dialogue
- Multi-thumbnail generation for easy creation of photo albums or screenshot pages
Another software that is reportedly comprehensive and can be considered an IDE within itself is called: Vim. It is an extremely advanced code editor that is open-source which gives you the ability to modify the application to your liking as a developer.
With the help of Vim editors and UNIX systems embedded in the software, the application can manage all of the text-editing activities of the developers in no time at all, whether the application is used online or on the premises.
This application is available to be used by Linux Devices.
- It is command centric which lets you perform complex text related task with few commands
- There are many plug-in available for Vim. Its functionality can be extended in a great manner using these plug-in
- Same as multiple windows, it also supports multiple buffers
- It supports recording features which allow to record and play Vim commands in a repeated manner
- Its memory footprint is exceptionally low
- It is highly configurable and uses a simple text file to store its configuration
- It supports multiple windows. Using this feature screen can be split into multiple windows
- It supports multiple tabs which allow you to work on multiple files
Next on this list of amazing code-editors, we have the software Geany. This application is quite effective because it uses the GTK+ toolkit to accommodate all of the code that the developers push on the software.
An amazing feature of this application is that it has all of the necessary basic components that make up an effectively integrated development environment or (IDE).
The developers can use this application to produce applications thanks to the software’s library that is full of different filetypes and other important features.
Geany supports Mac OSX, Windows, and Linux operating systems.
- Navigating through the source code is easy
- Show status message on attempt to execute empty context action
- Allows you to add a note for applying the indent settings in the project preferences
- Allows popup menu on message window notebooks and sidebar
- Syntax highlighting
- Autocompletion of symbols/words
- Auto-closing of XML and HTML tags
- Many supported filetypes including C, Java, PHP, HTML, Python, Perl, Pascal, and others
- Code navigation
- Simple project management
- Code folding for an overall organized approach to coding huge programs
- Construct completion/snippets
- Call tips
- Symbol lists
- Build a system to compile and execute your code
- Plugin interface
9. Komodo Edit
The software Komodo Edit is an intuitive but immensely powerful code editor that can easily run those long codes that you spent your sprints on.
The application allows you to perform the following functions straight from the application. These functions are integrations with other technologies like Docker, Grunt, Vagrant, PhoneGap, and many others like them.
You can also perform unit testing for all your quality assurance processes, debugging to make your code error-free and code refactoring.
This application is available to be used by Windows, Linux, and Mac device owners from all over the world.
- A lot of contemporary color schemes
- Easily integrates into the desktop environment
- Multi-Language Editor
- Native Unicode support and Unicode compatibility checking
- Track Changes
- Multiple selections
- Quick bookmarks
- Smart language detection
- Split view and multi-window
- Variable highlighting
- Symbol browser
- Autocomplete and call tips
- Soft characters and matching braces
- A free trial is available
There you have it; these are the 9 best code editors available right now. They are free to download and use. They are designed and loaded with the best functionalities that developers need regularly.
Microsoft Text Editor Free Download
Of course, our standard of a “best” free/ paid code editor may not be the same as yours. If you have a favorite software that wasn’t on this list, feel free to share your input through the comments section below. We will add that program for you in a follow-up extension write-up.
More Articles You May Like:
Seamless Collaboration for Teams
Code better with team collaboration on nTask